14 June 2007The United Kingdom has became one of the first donors to get behind a new fund which will help businesses to encourage entrepreneurship in Africa.Speaking at the World Economic Forum on Africa in Cape Town on Wednesday, Leader of the House of Lords, Baroness Amos, announced that the UK would provide US$20-million over three years to the Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund (AECF).The AECF said in a statement on Wednesday that, from early 2008, it would provide grants of up to $1.5-million to businesses that provide “innovative proposals for improving people’s chances to take part in economic activity, particularly in the areas of finance and agriculture.”According to the AECF, 70% of Africa’s people work in agriculture.An example of the type of project that might receive funding from the AECF is a mobile phone system that is helping Kenyans without bank accounts to transfer money.“The M-Pesa system run by Safaricom, and partly funded by the UK’s Department for International Development, allows users to borrow, transfer and make payments using text messages,” the AECF said.“Customers visit one of a network of shops, pay a cash deposit, and then ‘text’ the sum to the recipient – who uses a secure pin number to pick up the funds at another shop.“The number of mobile phone users in Kenya – more than 6.5 million – is far greater than the number of people with bank accounts, so the system provides an affordable financial service to many who have no other way to access such services.”Speaking in Cape Town on Wednesday, Baroness Amos said that business development was essential in the fight against poverty. “Last week the G8 reaffirmed the importance of this in stimulating economic growth in developing countries and encouraged businesses to improve the level of sustainable investment in those countries.“The Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund will help to deliver this,” Amos said. “It encourages innovation in trade and commerce to help those who are most excluded enter the world of business.”Other donors who have already committed to support the fund include the African Development Bank, the Consultative Group to Assist the Poor, and the International Fund for Agricultural Development.SouthAfrica.info reporter Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
Actor Rajeev Khandelwal, who loves eating, managed to lose some weight while filming his forthcoming movie “Samrat & Co.”.Rajeev reportedly ate meals five times a day and still lost six kg for Kaushik Ghatak’s directorial due to the scenes he had to perform – proving that eating small but more meals in a day along with a bit of physical activity is good to keep one fit.He ate meals five times a day and still lost six kg for Kaushik Ghatak’s directorial due to the scenes he had to perform.”When you talk about Rajeev, the first thing that can come to your mind is food, he eats everything possible! Since we were shooting for the film in the hilly locations of Himachal Pradesh, there was a lot of running and chasing scenes involved,” a source said.”By the end of it, Rajeev would run out of his adrenaline rush and hence lost almost six kg of weight,” he said in a statement.In the film, produced by Kavita Barjatya, Rajeev plays a private investigator, who sports long coats.Rajeev plays a private investigator, who sports long coats.Recalling his experience, Rajeev said: “It was quite hilarious. I am a die-hard foodie and though I ate meals almost throughout the day, I lost quite an amount of weight due to which I had to wear even heavier overcoats so that I could look bulky,” he said.Presented by Rajshri Productions, “Samrat & Co.” will release April 25.
OTTAWA — The federal government is expected to release findings today of an independent review of an extradition that resulted in Ottawa professor Hassan Diab spending three years in a French jail.French authorities suspected Diab was involved in the 1980 bombing of a Paris synagogue that killed four people and injured dozens of others, an accusation he has always denied.The RCMP arrested Diab, who is a Canadian citizen, in 2008 following a request by French authorities and he was sent to France six years later despite an Ontario judge’s acknowledgment that the case against him was weak.French judges eventually dismissed the allegations against Diab in January 2018 but last fall a French appeal court ordered a fresh review of evidence in the case.Diab, his lawyer and human-rights groups have been urging the federal government to hold a full public inquiry into his case and to reform the Extradition Act to ensure others aren’t caught in the same situation.The findings of the external review will be released with Canada’s extradition law under intense international scrutiny following the December arrest of senior Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver at the behest of the United States.Meng’s arrest angered China and Canada now finds itself entangled in a diplomatic crisis with the Asian superpower. In the days after Meng’s arrest, Chinese authorities detained two Canadians on allegations of espionage.The Trudeau government has repeatedly insisted Meng will be dealt with fairly and transparently by an independent judiciary. The prime minister has called China’s arrests of Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor arbitrary.The Canadian Press
A week after the Ohio State offense had a slow start against Wisconsin, running back Dan “Boom” Herron made sure the team got going early Saturday against Purdue. “We definitely wanted to get out there, get on top and get some momentum,” Herron said. “It was an honor to carry the load on the first drive.” The Buckeyes handed the ball to Herron on their first five plays from scrimmage, piling up 45 yards and a touchdown for a 7-0 OSU lead. “I think ‘Boom’ got us started, which ‘Boom’ has that ability to electrify the huddle and the room when he walks in it,” coach Jim Tressel said. Fullback Zach Boren indicated the success was not because of diversity of play selection. The team ran only two different plays on that drive, he said. “It was good play-calling,” Boren said. “We were going for it, and it worked.” Herron also liked the decision-making. “I think guys just kind of got in the groove of things, running the same play,” he said. “You know, if it works, we are going to keep on running it.” After their second drive saw three pass plays result in an OSU punt, the Buckeyes returned to the run game on their third possession. It paid off, as Herron once again found the end zone. He finished the day with 16 rushes for 74 yards and two touchdowns. Establishing the run was essential to success later in the game. “I think our offensive staff just wanted to get kind of a flow before we started putting the offensive line in difficult situations,” Tressel said. “The fact that the flow then worked gave you a chance to be balanced.” Starting with “the run really helped,” wide receiver Dane Sanzenbacher said. “The more we feel comfortable running the ball, the more it helps.” Herron was quick to share the praise for the success on the ground. “I really don’t talk about myself, it’s a team thing,” he said. “I really couldn’t do it without the offensive line over there.” Boren agreed the offensive line was important. “We were coming off the line and hitting someone,” he said. “The offensive line was creating huge holes for us, which … enabled us to get to the next level.” It has been Herron reaching that level more often than not for the Buckeyes, as he has led the team in carries the past five games. But he seemed reluctant to be referred to as the team’s featured runner. “I just try to get guys going and try to be a leader out there,” Herron said. “If that’s what everybody wants to say, I’m the feature back, I’ll take that.”
DAYTON, Ohio – If Thursday’s practice is any indication, the Ohio State men’s basketball team isn’t feeling the pressure of the NCAA Tournament just yet. The West Region’s No. 2 seed spilled onto the University of Dayton Arena floor just before 4:25 p.m. Thursday for a 40-minute practice session in front of a few hundred Buckeye fans. Before the practice clock started to run, OSU players and coaches scattered around the hardwood. Thad Matta spoke to a smiling threesome of Sam Thompson, LaQuinton Ross and Shannon Scott, joking with the sophomores while pointing out aspects of the 13,435-seat facility. Junior forward Deshaun Thomas and junior guard Aaron Craft grinned and waved to scarlet and gray-clad faithful yelling for their attention. OSU’s student-athletes signed autographs on their way off the floor, following less than an hour of work highlighted by an impromptu dunk-off between Thompson and junior guard Lenzelle Smith Jr. The Buckeyes were noticeably comfortable in anticipation of their contest against No. 15 seed Iona Friday at 7:15 p.m. With their NCAA Tournament venue being only roughly an hour drive from Columbus, it’s easy to see why that’s the case. “We had a great practice this morning in Columbus, and an hour and 15-minute ride over here. I like it from that standpoint,” Matta said. “It keeps us in the routine we’ve been in.” “This is amazing,” Craft said. “Buckeye Nation always travels really well, and being only an hour away, it can only help. We’re just really excited to see what kind of crowd we can get out here.” Those in attendance Friday evening will be watching an OSU team that has won eight straight games capped by a Big Ten Tournament championship in Chicago last weekend. “Coach did a great job getting ourselves prepared for March,” Thomas said. But the Buckeyes aren’t ready to brag about any of their accomplishments yet. “It’s not time to celebrate that yet. It’s not time to change who we are as a basketball team, to try to be somebody that we’re not,” Matta said. Don’t expect the Gaels to be flustered by any of OSU’s winning history, either. Led by senior guard Lamont “Momo” Jones, who averages 23 points per contest, Iona won the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Tournament. Only six No. 15 seeds have ever beaten a No. 2, but Iona expects nothing short of a victory. “I’m very confident. I think we can win the game, and if we win the game, it’s not going to be a shocker,” Jones said. Jones said he and his teammates respect OSU, but the sharpshooter said he isn’t likely to be fazed by anything the Buckeyes present. Specifically, Jones said he won’t feel pressured by OSU’s defensive-minded guard duo of Craft and Scott. “I don’t think we’ll have a problem with it,” Jones said, noting that he goes against in-your-face defenders every day in practice. OSU players are aware of the outpouring of confidence from their opponent. “We definitely listen. We’re not going to respond to any of that, but we know what they’re saying,” Thompson said. Smith went as far to say that Jones’ comments might have made the Buckeyes more focused for the contest. “If we weren’t ready to play, they just made us ready to play. They gave us all the ammunition (we) needed,” he said. That doesn’t mean the Buckeyes aren’t conscious of the Gaels’ capability to play well. “They’ve got great scorers. They’re very active on defense,” Thomas said. “So what we need to do is just run our offense with pace and hit the open shots and hit the open man and just play hard.” Iona was the second-highest scoring team in the country during the regular season at 80.7 points per game. Along with Jones, junior guard Sean Armand propels the Gaels, dropping 16.6 points a contest. The Buckeyes will have their hands full with Iona’s shooters, who started practice Thursday with a 3-point contest. But Craft thinks his team has its best basketball in front of it. “The worst thing we can do is get complacent. Coach is doing a great job staying honest and having our minds ready to go, and that’s what it’s about,” he said. “This is when the fun starts happening. Hopefully we can extend it.” If OSU gets past Iona, the Buckeyes will take on the winner of the game between No. 7 seed Notre Dame and No. 10 seed Iowa State Sunday.
Having seen the complications and accommodation issues experienced by fans during the two most recent UCL finals, held in Cardiff and Kiev, football’s governing body may take the star-making match to other continents, in order to facilitate accommodations for all fans.During the Champions League final match last week, fans for both Liverpool and Real Madrid were stripped from the rooms they had previously booked and paid in advance to attend the game, with the owners hiking prices up to 100% from their initial value.After the final, fans had to sleep on the airport floor, and UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin vowed to take matters into his own hands by finding host cities that provide proper accommodation to all those that will travel for the game.England and Bulgaria on a collision course over racism George Patchias – September 13, 2019 England’s concerns over racism in Bulgaria has sparked a furious row.Recently England manager Gareth Southgate expressed his concern over racist abuse being aimed at…“The election process has changed. Sometimes, you only needed a city exec to present a bid and that was it. Now, we have several options and the ‘best one’ gets to host. Nevertheless, it’s impossible to see how a fee of €100 can’t get you a decent room, even if it’s under a staircase. From now on, we’ll make sure that this subject comes up when we elect a city, and those cities where fans have to sleep in a garage won’t be elected,” Ceferin stated in an interview published by New York Times via LivesoccertvUEFA executive has named Miami, New York and Doha as possible host cities, due to each city’s capacity to offer proper accommodation.
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea has revealed he is happy with life at Old Trafford and gave a hint of extending his contract.The former Atletico Madrid shot-stopper is in the final year of his contract at the club. But United will be hoping to agree on a new long-term extension with the Spanish number one.Asked if he was considering signing a contract, De Gea said: “I feel really loved at this club. From the fans, from all the people who are for this club.“I am really happy to play for this club, one of the best clubs in the world. So for me, it’s really good to be part of this club.”Vidic: “Ronaldo is the most professional footballer I’ve seen” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Nemanja Vidic opened up on how a 21-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo’s professionalism left him stunned at Manchester United.The Spanish shot-stopper has been in a superb form in recent times, playing a key role in the Red devils’ recent triumph at Vicarage road.De Gea insists he has not been distracted, though, and said: “Normally, I never listen to the people who speak about me.“I am focused on my job and trying to help my team – try to improve every training session and try to be as good as I can, so I never listen to stupid things like this they say.”
Real Betis vice-president José Miguel López Catalán angrily denied Dani Ceballos claims that they told lies about himThe 22-year-old midfielder rose through the youth ranks at Betis and went on to make 105 appearances for the first-team until he was sold to Real Madrid in a €18m deal in 2017.However, Ceballos sensationally announced last week that Betis were responsible for his exit.The Spain international then added that the club had stalled on contract talks and then told the fans lies about him.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.“His words annoyed me a lot, because they are not true,” said López Catalán, according to Football-Espana.“Dani is telling a story that is far from the reality, and yes Betis may have erred by not signing a deal many months earlier but the player stalled for months.“From my point of view it was clear that he was thinking only of himself and not about Betis, and ultimately it led to an exit that was not pleasant for anyone.”
Tune in to KSRM 920AM at 5pm, or click here to stream live over the internet. No calls will be taken during each of the scheduled forums. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享KSRM will be hosting a live-forum with the candidates running for House District 29, from 5-6pm on KSRM 920AM, on Thursday, November 1. Ben Carpenter and Shawn Butler will join hosts Jennifer Williams and Karen McGahan. This is the final in a week-long series of candidate forums. Don’t forget to vote in the general election on Tuesday, November 6, from 7am to 8pm.